Welcome friends!

This is a forum to share tips, advice and ideas about nutrition, fitness and well-being. I also invite you to join me in my yoga practice at 24 Hour Fitness. It is an 1 hour vinyasa yoga class, also called "flow" yoga. The poses move fluidly, the breath linking each pose to the next. This practice will create strength, flexibilty, endurance and balance leading to a sense of wellness and mental awareness. I hope to see you there! The class schedule will be updated on the blog as it changes.

Labels

Monday, October 24, 2011

Eggplant!

This week I got a couple of eggplants in my CSA delivery. I'll be honest, I had no idea what to do with them! With a little help from google and some inspiration from what I had on hand, here is what I came up with:

Eggplant, washed and sliced into about 1/2 inch rounds
About 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
About 4 tablespoons of olive oil
About 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
Seasonings: I used crushed red pepper, iltailian seasoning and pepper



1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Place the bread crumbs and seasonings in a swallow dish
3. Mix the mayonnaise and oil (amounts will need to be adjusted based on the amount of eggplant you have)
4. Coat each slice of eggplant on both sides with the mayo/oil mixture and then press into the bread crumbs to coat
5. Place coated eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet
6. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Flip slices over, and cook an additional 20 minutes to brown the other side



Serve with some shredded parmesan and freshly ground pepper and enjoy!

In it's original state eggplant is very low calorie and high fiber. A 1 cup serving has only 102 calories and 3 grams of fiber. However, watch out, it soaks up oils like a sponge so can quickly turn into a calorie bomb!

No comments:

Post a Comment