Welcome friends!

This is a forum to share tips, advice and ideas about nutrition, fitness and well-being. I also invite you to join me in my yoga practice at 24 Hour Fitness. It is an 1 hour vinyasa yoga class, also called "flow" yoga. The poses move fluidly, the breath linking each pose to the next. This practice will create strength, flexibilty, endurance and balance leading to a sense of wellness and mental awareness. I hope to see you there! The class schedule will be updated on the blog as it changes.

Labels

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pomegranates

 

My weekly CSA inspired another blog. Delivered to my door were three pretty pomegranates. The first order of business was figuring out how to get the juicy, delicious seeds out. In typical fashion, I proceeded without research. I cut one in half and then used a grapefruit spoon to scrape the seeds out. It was successful, but messy, so I recommend putting a bowl down in the sink and working there.

For the remaining pomegranates, I did a little research before cracking them open. The most recommended method I found is this: 1, cut the crown off the pomegranate and then cut into sections 2, put the sections in a bowl of water and then roll out the juice sacs using your fingers 3, strain the juice sacs from the water. This method seemed like too much work so I never tried it. The traditional method is to cut off the crown, score the skin into quarters, break the sections apart, scoop the seed clusters into a bowel and pick out any remaining pith. This method worked great. It was cleaner than when I cut the pomegranate in half as that caused juice to leak everywhere.

Now that the tasty little juice sacs are free, there are endless possibilities. I used mine to top oatmeal, salads, yogurt and ice cream. I also found some recipes on pomegranates.org that sound delicious. I think I will try the muffins soon.

But is it worth going to all the trouble? Yes! One pomegranate has a whopping 11 g of fiber, almost 50% of your daily value of vitamin C and is also high if vitamin K and folate. Hurry, they are only around from early fall to early winter. However, thank to the popularity of the POM juices you can enjoy the delicious flavor and healthy dose of antioxidants year round.

1 comment:

  1. I do the water method for getting the seeds and it is a bit of work, but it gets all the pithy parts out. I do at least 3 at a time and put all the seeds in a tupperware to use throughout the week.

    ReplyDelete